Home » Departments » Welcome to the Revenue Department  » Elderly/Disabled FAQ


Elderly/Disabled Exclusion FAQ


Q: What qualifications do I have to meet in order to receive the elderly/disabled exclusion?

A: You must be at least 65 years of age on January 1st or totally and permanently disabled, have an *income for the preceding calendar year of not more than twenty nine thousand five hundred ($29,500) and finally this must be your primary residence. 


*Income means all monies received other than gifts or inheritances received from a spouse, lineal ancestor or lineal descendant.


Q: If I receive the elderly/disabled exclusion, does that mean I am exempt from paying any taxes?

A: No


Q: What are the benefits from receiving this exclusion?

A: We will exclude from taxation the greater of $25,000 or 50% of the value of the home or manufactured home, and the value of the lot or one acre, and you will receive a discount on your solid waste fee.


Q: Do I have to reapply each year for the elderly/disabled exclusion?

A: No, you do not have to reapply for the exclusion each year. However, you are required to report all of your income when required by tax office.


Q: If my income is over the limit do I have any alternatives?

A: Yes, effective as of 2009 a new program of tax relief was created by N.C. Legislators called the Circuit Breaker Deferment. Qualifications are similar to the Homestead Exclusion with the exception that you must have owned and occupied your primary residence for at least five years and the income limit is forty four thousand two hundred fifty dollars ($44,250). Also the taxes are deferred which means they are a lien against your property and up to three years can be rolled back with interest upon a disqualifying event. An annual application is required.


Applications may be obtained from the following:

1. Pick up application at Rutherford County Revenue Department at 229 N. Main St. Rutherfordton, NC.

2. Contact the Rutherford County Revenue Department at (828) 287-6175.

3. Download application from this website on the Property Tax Relief or Tax Forms page.



Click here for more information and applications for these and other programs