3 - Submitting an Initial Offer or Upset Bid

1.      An initial offer, or an upset bid, for county-owned property must be submitted in writing on a County of Rutherford  Offer to Purchase and Contract Form (listed with each individual property listing). The initial offer will require not less than a 5% bid deposit. Once a bid has been approved by the Board of Commissioners of Rutherford County, all remaining deposits will be returned. The bid deposit should be submitted in the form of a cashier's check or money order made payable to: County of Rutherford. Please read the entire two-page Offer to Purchase and Contract form, which includes a standard provision.

2.      The County of Rutherford conveyances are with a NON-Warranty deed only and may have development restrictions imposed. Read the offer form for any sales conditions.

3.      Submit the Offer to Purchase and Contract form to the Clerk to the Board in a sealed envelope with the property description clearly labeled on the outside. Initial offers submitted are confidential and will be opened on the designated date and time. At that time, all bids will be reviewed by staff prior to making a recommendation to the Board of Commissioners of Rutherford County for approval.

4.      You will be contacted as soon as possible by the Clerk to the Board’s office with the status on the offer submitted and if it will be presented for the Board of Commissioners approval.

5.      One initial offer will be selected by staff for recommendation to the Board of Commissioners of Rutherford County approval. If the recommendation is accepted the offer is subject to the upset bid method of disposition. Offer acceptance is not delivered to the initial approved bidder until final Commissioners' action adopting a resolution authorizing the sale. Offers may be submitted by mailing the Offer to Purchase and Contract form to:

County of Rutherford
Attn: Clerk to the Board
289 N. Main St
Rutherfordton, NC 28139

- OR -

Submit in person:
*Please be sure to leave your offer with the Clerk to the Board office.