6 - Submitting an Upset Bid and 5% Deposit

The upset bid must come in writing on a County of Rutherford Offer to Purchase and Contract form (listed with each individual property listing) and include the bid deposit in the form of a local bank cashier's check or a money order (please refer to “Minimum Upset Bid Calculation” for minimum bid requirements). Upset bids are considered sealed bids and will be opened at the date and time indicated. Contact with bidders will be made within ten working days after bid deadline to inform bid results and to return bid deposits as necessary.


Please be sure to place your bid and deposit in a sealed envelope with the following noted on the front of the envelope:

1.      "Upset Bid for Surplus Property"

2.      Property listing name.

The County of Rutherford conveyances are by NON-WARRANTY DEED.

The County Commissioners may at any time reject any and all offers.

You may submit your upset bid offer by mailing the County Offer to Purchase and Contract form and good faith deposit to:

County of Rutherford
Attn: Clerk to the Board
289 N. Main St
Rutherfordton, NC 28139

- OR -

Submit in person:
*Please be sure to leave your offer with the Clerk to the Board office.