Blind Services

Services for the Blind

Services for the Blind provides assistance to eligible blind and/or visually impaired residents of North Carolina. A Social Worker for the Blind is located in the County Department of Social Services to receive and screen referrals and provide services. Services provided by the Social Worker for the Blind include Medical Eye Care and Independent Living Services.

The Medical Eye Care Program offers financial assistance for eye care (eye exams, glasses, medications and surgery) based on consumers financial eligibility and need for service.  It is important to note that assistance for this program is contingent on the availability of state funds.

Independent Living Services provides in-home assessment of consumer’s needs to determine how the vision loss impacts activities of daily living. The service plan is tailored to the needs of the individual to help them learn daily living skills and obtain the assistance they need to become or maintain self-sufficiency. 

Counselors, located in our Regional Offices, are employed by Services for the Blind to provide Vocational Rehabilitation to visually impaired consumers with employment related concerns.

Rutherford County's Social Worker for the Blind serves both Rutherford and Polk Counties. She is in Polk County on Wednesdays and the 4th Fridays. Other regular business days she is in the Rutherford DSS Office.


North Carolina Division of Services for the Blind Website

For more information about services for the blind contact Rhonda Greene at 828-287-1241