Consumer Bill of Rights
It is the responsibility of all Employees of the Rutherford County Department of Social Services to recognize that all consumers of this Agency have individuality, significance, and worth. It is the practice of this Agency that no one will be discriminated against on the basis of race, color, sex, sexual orientation, marital status, political belief, mental or physical handicap, or any other preference or personal characteristic, condition or status. The Rutherford County Department of Social Services will safeguard the interests and rights listed below:
- To be treated with respect, consideration, dignity, and in full recognition of his or her individuality.
- To have special cultural, racial, ethnic, and religious traditions acknowledged and respected.
- To be free from any and all verbal attacks or degrading remarks.
- To receive a reasonable response to his or her request.
- To have his or her records kept confidential and secure.
- To receive benefits and services, which are appropriate, available, and according to relevant federal and state laws, rules, and regulations.
- To have applications acted upon in a timely manner.
- To be interviewed as promptly as possible.
- To be told the truth.
- To be asked for a signature only after receiving a thorough explanation.
- To receive clear instructions on the manner of and to whom complaints can be made.
- To be permitted to make complaints and suggestions without fear of coercion or retaliation.
- To be told clearly the consequences of withholding or misrepresenting information.
- To have copies of these rights made available upon entry into the Agency or upon request.
Rutherford County DSS does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, religion, age or disability in employment or provision of services.