Medicaid / Health Choice
Health Choice Services
The North Carolina Health Choice (NCHC) is a health insurance program for children of families who make too much to qualify for Medicaid, but too little to afford private insurance.
NCHC benefits include:
NCHC does not include:
- Long-term care services
- Services for beneficiaries living or traveling outside of the US
- Early and Periodic Screening, Diagnosis and Testing (ESPDT)
- Pregnancy related services
Child Health Plan under Title XXI of the Social Security Act Children's Health Insurance Program
There are six ways to apply (one application works for Medicaid and Health Choice).
- Apply online at ePASS.
- Apply online at Healthcare.gov
- Apply in person at your county Division of Social Services (DSS) office at 389 Fairground Road, Spindale, NC 28160.
- Fill out a paper application and mail to or drop it off at your county DSS office at 389 Fairground Road, Spindale, NC 28160 or mail to PO Box 242, Spindale, NC 28160.
- Fill out a paper application and fax to your local DSS office.
- Complete a telephone application with your local DSS office.