The Rutherford County Landfill is located at the dead end of Laurel Hill Drive, which turns off Charlotte Road behind Hardee’s and Crowe’s Mortuary. The landfill will accept household garbage, demolition materials, brush and tree limbs, pallets, metal, white goods (which consists of refrigerators, stoves, washers, and dryers, hot water heaters, dishwashers, etc.), tires, oil, oil filters, batteries and dead animals. They will not accept liquids, hazardous waste, insecticides, chemicals, etc. The landfill also accepts used computers, TVs & etc.
Upon entering the landfill (speed limit is 10 mph), drive slowly over speed bump onto the scales; stop at the ‘stop’ sign and speaker. An attendant will ask what you are hauling. You will then be directed where to put your items (exit scales slowly over bump). After emptying your items, slowly cross back over the scales so the weighmaster can determine how much weight was left behind.
(1) Any house garbage, furniture, grass clippings and painted pallets will go into the transfer station (the green building) on the left side of the road.
(2) Demolition materials will go to the #2 sign on the right to the bottom of the hill following the blue arrow signs.
(3) Yard waste (brush, limbs) will go to the end to the right to the #3 sign. (ONLY YARD WASTE IS TO BE PUT IN THIS LOCATION!) Excluding stumps we are not permitted to take. Unpainted pallets will be disposed of near the yard pile.
(4) Any metal or white goods will be put in the metal pile on the right. Refrigerators, freezers and air conditioners will be placed separately beside the metal pile so coolants can be removed.
(5) Oil will be poured into the silver oil tank to the right of the metal pile. Oil filters will be placed in a 55 gallon drum at the far end of the shop.
(6) Batteries will be placed in front of the shop between the doors.
(7) Tires are to be “laced” into the tire trailers that are on the right upon entering the landfill. All people bringing tires must come across scales to be weighed and to the office to fill out paperwork before unloading tires. Individuals are allowed to bring 5 tires at no cost one time. After that, they must pay (see fee list below) If the tires are coming from a tire business, a completed Tire Certification Sheet must be filled out stating amount and size of tires, with business name and address, etc.
(8) Dead animals are to be taken to the animal burial area near the demolition area. Signs are placed for directions. (In bad weather, landfill attendants will take them down.)
(9) All CLEAN recyclables will be free of charge. If recyclables are not clean then the regular garbage rate applies. Clean means no food residues, styrofoam, plastic bags or other nonrecyclable items.
County residents (anyone living outside any city limits) pay a Solid Waste fee of $142.00 per household on their tax bill every year. Residents are then permitted to use the 10 convenience centers free of charge. Municipal residents (anyone living inside city limits) do not pay the $142.00 Solid Waste fee. Therefore, they are NOT to use the convenience centers because they have trash pickup by their town employees.
EVERYONE PAYS, (including churches & schools) when bringing items to the landfill.
The fees are:
MSW $62.00 per ton (Household trash, furniture, flower pots, things cleaned up around the yard or shed)
construction/ demolition $45.00 per ton (Brick, wood, concrete, anything that is being remodeled, shingles, siding, flooring etc.)
brush and limbs $35.00 (NO stumps please!)
dead farm animals $10 minimum. (Cats and Dogs free)
Recycle from outside the county $10 per ton
Tires: The landfill cannot accept tires with the rims still attached to recycle. Those go on metal pile, please inform the scale operator that you have them.
car (passenger) size: $1 each
Motorcycle size: $1 each
Transfer (off road) size: $5 each
Tractor size: $10 each
Electronics: See examples
*As of July 1st, 2018, the Solid Waste Department will be accepting electronics free of charge to Rutherford County Residents only; all non-residential units will pay the current fee.
Cathode ray tube (CRT) Televisions or computer monitors: $15
Flat Televisions, or Flat computer monitors, printers and components: $5
*If electronics are stripped then the regular household rate will apply. ($62.00 per ton)
For Rutherford County residents to bring electronics free of charge, a valid ID must be presented to scale operator.
When bringing electronics stop at the scale next to "Stop" sign and inform the scale operator of what type of electronics you have and quantity of each type.
The scale operator will allow you to proceed with indications if needed of the electronics area. Please place the electronics in the ground in the electronics area, and return to scale. The scale operator will ask you to come to the window and show your ID; if there is no ID to proof Rutherford County residency the charges will be applied.
We accept cash, checks(with phone number and address), credit card; Master Card, Discover, Visa. (There will be a $2 fee applied when using card)
After crossing the scale upon entrance to the landfill, emptying your vehicle and crossing back on the scale, the attendant will then tell the resident what is owed and give a receipt upon payment.
ALL BUSINESSES MUST PAY Businesses are NOT to use the convenience centers. This includes anyone who may be doing a job for a neighbor that is being paid for their labor.
There are 10 convenience centers located around the county. They will accept household garbage, furniture, metal, oil, batteries, aluminum cans, glass, plastic, cardboard and newspaper and all other clean recyclables as mentioned above.
ELECTRONICS WILL NOT BE ACCEPTED IN THE CONVENIENCE CENTERS.
Convenience Center Hours:
MON - FRI 6:00 AM – 7:00 PM
SAT 8:00 AM – 7:00 PM
Hollis Center Hours:
MON, WED & FRI 7AM - 6PM
SAT 8AM - 6PM
(All locations will be closed on Sunday)
- Avondale Center: 2810 Ellenboro-Henrietta Rd
- Bills Creek Center:2130 Bills Creek Road. SS
- Colfax Center: 1676 US 74 Business
- Danieltown Center:1381 Bethany Church Rd.
- Gilkey Center: 2489 HWY 221 N SS
- Golden Valley Center: 6075 Bostic-Sunshine Hwy. SS
- Green Hill Center: 204 Rainbow Rapids Rd. SS
- Hollis Center: 448 Hollis Rd. SS
- Pea Ridge Center: 3892 Pea Ridge Rd. SS
- Shiloh Center: 152 Richland Dr. SS
Google Maps SS Symbol means Swap Shop Shed in Center.
***No food items are allowed in the swap shop buildings.***
- New Years Day
- Memorial Day
- Fourth of July
- Labor Day
- Thanksgiving Day
- Christmas Day